Make Your Own Butter!
This project requires very few materials
Here’s what you need:
- ✔ Small jar (baby food jars work great)
- ✔ Heavy Whipping Cream
- Let whipping cream sit on the counter until room temperature.
- Fill jar about 2/3 to 3/4 full with whipping cream.
- Shake! The kids might like to take turns shaking so they don’t get tired of it.
- After about 10 minutes, open the jar to find liquid buttermilk on the top. Pour off the buttermilk to find the solid butter.
- Squeeze butter with a spoon to get rid of excess liquid, which will make it extra creamy.
- Stir in a pinch of salt. Enjoy!
Thought provoking questions to ask your scientist:
- Where does milk come from?
- Discuss liquid (whipping cream) and solid (butter).
- Before shaking, ask your child(ren) how long they think it will take (or how many shakes)?