Which one is heavier?
This project requires very few materials
Here’s what you need:
- ✔ Clothes hanger (one with hooks or divots for straps work best)
- ✔ String or yarn
- ✔ 2 plastic cups of equal size
- ✔ hole punch
- ✔ small objects for weighing
- Put hanger somewhere where it can swing easily (kitchen cabinet knob, door knob).
- Punch a hole on opposite sides of each cup near the top.
- Cut 2 pieces of string and loop them through the cup to create buckets. The strings should be same length.
- Loop “buckets” in divots on hanger.
- Add different objects and compare weights.
Thought provoking questions to ask your scientist:
- How do you know which side is heavier (most children will explain that the heavier one is lower)?
- Does the size of the objects matter?
- Try adding the same object to both sides and changing the shape of one (a crumpled piece of paper versus a flat sheet of paper).